The enchanted place with the benches under two huge magnolia treees, at the southwest entrance to the walled garden, used to be the sand tennis court of the Bryces. It was the very first structure built by the Bryces, long before any building was started. Outside the hedge around it – today it is the lawn area below the casita – there were two more tennis courts and a croquet place. In former times it was the bog providing fuel for the inhabitants of the island. It was drained around Easter of 1911 and the first games were played in August 1911.